This one-story, three-room structure was built in 1895 to replace the earlier infirmary.
In 1891 students began paying an annual infirmary fee of five dollars, which entitled them to medical attention at no further charge. With income from this fees and with the financial assistance of Harry S. Lake (a UNC alumnus from New York City), the university was able to build this infirmary. It was run by Dr. Richard H. Whitehead, who was the university's first dean of the School of Medicine. Dr. Charles S. Mangum also attended patients here. Since it was often vacant, it was also used used as housing for visiting university trustees.
In 1907, the structure was purchased and moved to a nearby property on Columbia Street by Dr. Eric Abernethy, when the new infirmary (Abernethy Hall) was constructed in 1907.
View west, circa 1900 (Image via UNC)