The original/first Walnut Grove Church operated in a log building from circa 1841 to circa 1891, on property owned by Samuel Woods then purchased via public sale by David B. McKee. This church appears to be depicted in this location on the 1891 Tate map of OC. It was described as “…a simple log building, no glass windows, just shutters and slab benches and construction covered a long period of time. This church was finally completed in 1870 by adding window panes, benches, and ceiling. It was perhaps never formally dedicated."
As part of the Hillsboro Circuit, this church was served by itinerant preachers, with services held once a month (the first Sunday of each month). Circa 1868, a Sunday school was started at the church. There was/is no cemetery associated with the early church structure, as neither the church as an entity nor its trustees owned the land. It can be presumed that once the new church was built on property to the northeast of this property (circa 1891-1893), this church building was no longer used and perhaps was in poor shape so was disassembled or left to ruin.
Excerpt of 1891 Tate map of Orange County, showing original church site