Built in 1935 on what was at the time private property that had been purchased in August 1933 by the Atlantic Corporation. North Carolina textile magnate Kenneth S. Tanner (UNC class of 1911) had the structure built for use by his son and four other students for use as a dwelling and clubhouse. It was designed by Charlotte architect Martin Boyer and built by local contractor Brodie S. Thompson.
View west, 1965 (image via the Bob Wonderly collection)
View west,1968 (via UNC)
During World War Two, the Tanner family loaned the building to the Carolina Volunteer Training Corps for use as their headquarters. After being gifted to the university, the structure was variously used as housing for nursing students, housed the computer sciences department and was home to the Institute for the Arts and Humanities. It was last used as the Carolina Asia Center.
This is one of the structures that wasn't able to survive the Moeser-Kapp regime (2000-2008); it was demolished in August 2006.