In 1936, while students at UNC, Maurice S. Julian and his brother Milton owned/operated a bicycle rental shop named The Bicycle Exchange, first on Henderson Street, then on East Franklin Street across from the UNC campus. They also expanded into tennis equipment circa 1940.
In 1939, Julian opened a shoe store where James Ellis' Dress Shop was previously located (at 167 East Franklin Street).
In 1942, Julian moved his business to 140 East Franklin Street and opened The College Shop
, catering mainly to male UNC students and cadets in the United States Navy Pre-Flight School
Julian's daughter Missy Julian-Fox and her husband Michael Fox operated the store after Maurice died in 1993
. After 65 years in the same location, in 2007 Alexander Julian (Maurice's son) took over the business and moved it to its current location
(which had been the site of his previous store, Alexander’s Ambition
, from 1969 to 1975).at 135 East Franklin Street.
Circa 1950 (photo by Bayard-Wooten, via UNC)
1977 (via the CHHS)
For more information: