Danziger's Old World Candy Shop / Old World Restaurant / Old World Gift Shop

Danziger's Old World Candy Shop / Old World Restaurant / Old World Gift Shop

Date founded: 
1939
Date dissolved: 
1982

The business was opened in Chapel Hill by Edward Gustav Danziger (aka "Papa D") in 1939, after fleeing Austria and the Nazi occupation. Danziger’s Old World Candy Shop quickly became a hangout for UNC students, locals, and visitors. The store was located at 153 East Franklin Street in the Sutton Building (the prior location of Gooch's Restaurant) and initially sold homemade confections, pastries, coffee, and sodas. Danziger’s Old World Candy Shop transitioned into a full service restaurant, renamed Danziger’s Old World Restaurant in the 1950s.

The Danzigers publicly opposed segregation, and hired African-Americans for high-profile jobs in their restaurants.

Danziger's closed in 1982.

Interior, circa 1940 (via the Chapel Hill Historical Society via Jim Vickers)

Circa 1948 postcard (via UNC Postcards)

Circa 1940 postcard of "Danziger's Famous Candy Shop, Chapel Hill, North Carolina" (via UNC Postcards)

Circa 1940 postcard of "The Famous Fourteen-Languages Quotation Wall at Danziger's in Chapel Hill, N.C." (via UNC Postcards)

1952 (via UNC)

Interior, 1950s (via the Chapel Hill Historical Society via Jim Vickers)

Exterior, 1970s? (via the Chapel Hill Historical Society via Jim Vickers)

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment