Hillsborough - Historic District

Hillsborough - Historic District

Summary

Hillsborough's historic district generally follows the outlines of the town as of 1854, including the original town laid out by William Churton in 1754, a 1787 expansion of the town to the west (to Occoneechee Street, an 1821 expansion to the north - to Commons Street (later Corbin Street) and 1831 and 1854 expansions to the west (to Nash Street). Above, an excerpt of the 1768 Sauthier map of Hillsborough. Legend is: "A, Church ; B, Court House; C, Goal [Jail] ; D, Market House ; E, Mills"... more

Buildings and objects of interest

View List

Hillsborough's historic district generally follows the outlines of the town as of 1854, including the original town laid out by William Churton in 1754, a 1787 expansion of the town to the west (to Occoneechee Street, an 1821 expansion to the north - to Commons Street (later Corbin Street) and 1831 and 1854 expansions to the west (to Nash Street).

Above, an excerpt of the 1768 Sauthier map of Hillsborough. Legend is: "A, Church ; B, Court House; C, Goal [Jail] ; D, Market House ; E, Mills"

This basic town plan is still evident at the core of Hillsborough; the busy intersection is King and Churton Sts. The (old) courthouse remains at its same location, and "Church" is the area of the Presbyterian Church and the Old Town Cemetery.

Plan of the Town of Hillsboro: original from the collection of A.H. Graham, drawn/copied by S.T. Alderman; October 1863

Added: Thu, 11/17/2016 - 1:45pm
By: sevy
Added: Thu, 11/17/2016 - 12:22pm
By: sevy
Added: Thu, 11/17/2016 - 12:18pm
By: sevy
228 E. QUEEN ST. (building)
Added: Thu, 11/17/2016 - 12:14pm
By: sevy
304 MITCHELL ST. (building)
Added: Thu, 11/17/2016 - 12:03pm
By: sevy
307 MITCHELL ST. (building)
Added: Thu, 11/17/2016 - 12:00pm
By: sevy
308 MITCHELL ST. (building)
Added: Thu, 11/17/2016 - 11:50am
By: sevy
309 MITCHELL ST. (building)
Added: Thu, 11/17/2016 - 11:45am
By: sevy
328 MITCHELL ST. (building)
Added: Thu, 11/17/2016 - 11:36am
By: sevy
322 MITCHELL ST. (building)
Added: Thu, 11/17/2016 - 11:30am
By: sevy