Hillsborough - West Hillsborough

Hillsborough - West Hillsborough

Summary

The West Hill development was platted on July 20, 1913, creating a subdivision of land west of the original 18th century town. The "Old Homestead" sits at the center of the platted area - this was 'West Hill' or the Cadwallader Jones House; Jones owned all of the subdivided land above. Of note, the "Farm Life School Building" at the west end of the plat was the former Hillsborough Military Academy barracks building; the notation "Farmers Alliance Property" connotes that all of the land west of... more

Buildings and objects of interest

View List

The West Hill development was platted on July 20, 1913, creating a subdivision of land west of the original 18th century town.

The "Old Homestead" sits at the center of the platted area - this was 'West Hill' or the Cadwallader Jones House; Jones owned all of the subdivided land above.

Of note, the "Farm Life School Building" at the west end of the plat was the former Hillsborough Military Academy barracks building; the notation "Farmers Alliance Property" connotes that all of the land west of the parcels on the west side of West Hill Avenue were once Hillsborough Military Academy land.

An auction of 100 of the newly-subdivided properties took place on April 11, 1914 (see the April 9, 1914 Orange County Observer excerpt below).

West Hillsborough had a strong interaction with the Eno and Bellvue mills, but it was not a 'mill village' in the sense of the term wherein the mills owned the property; the parcels above were purchased privately and developed individually (for the most part) although the residents often worked in the mills.

The neighborhood expanded westward in 1923, as the owners of the former military academy land began to sell off pieces of it. First was the "Oak Ridge" development.

In the above plat, I believe the street names are: Hillsboro = King, King = Barracks, Railroad=Murray, Fore=Raynor, Murray = Ruby Lane.

And then the Murray plat in 1924.

Much of the neighborhood associated with the Eno Mill has been lost - or at least dispersed. The neighborhoods south of the tracks - Front Row, New Hill, Old Hill, and Occoneechee Mountain, are no longer extant.

West Hillsborough did not become part of the Town of Hillsborough until 1976.

241 BARRACKS RD. (building)
Added: Tue, 08/16/2016 - 1:02pm
By: sevy
230 BARRACKS RD. (building)
Added: Tue, 08/16/2016 - 12:53pm
By: sevy
240 BARRACKS RD. (building)
Added: Tue, 08/16/2016 - 12:48pm
By: sevy
1211 ENO ST. (building)
Added: Tue, 08/16/2016 - 12:41pm
By: sevy
Added: Mon, 08/15/2016 - 11:48am
By: sevy
215 ASHE ST. (building)
Added: Mon, 08/15/2016 - 11:39am
By: sevy
722 SOUTH ST. (building)
Added: Mon, 08/15/2016 - 11:30am
By: sevy
216 RILEY AVE. (building)
Added: Mon, 08/15/2016 - 11:25am
By: sevy
220 RILEY AVE. (building)
Added: Mon, 08/15/2016 - 11:21am
By: sevy
209 RILEY AVE. (building)
Added: Mon, 08/15/2016 - 11:19am
By: sevy