KAPPA SIGMA FRAT HALL / THE EVERGREENS / SMITH-EVERGREEN COTTAGE / EVERGREEN HOUSE
The sole survivor of UNC's original Fraternity Row.
- FRATERNITY ROW by SteveR, Tue, 03/21/2023 - 5:49pm
- Fri, 05/07/2021 - 11:38am by SteveR
View west, 1917 (via UNC's Yackety Yack)
Building is at right of photo; view south, 1920s (via UNC)
View west, 1945
View north west, 1957
Known variously as the Kappa Sigma frat hall, The Evergreens, Evergreen Cottage, the Smith-Evergreen Cottage, and the Evergreen House, it was built between late 1912 and 1913. It likely obtained the name "Evergreen" or "Evergreens" from the trees that once surrounded it.
The structure was used as temporary housing for Army cadets in March 1943. From 1943 to June 1946, due to the student housing shortage during WWII, it was used by the Alpha Tau Omega (ATO) fraternity. By 1945 the first floor of the front porch was enclosed. It was used as an annex for the Tri Delta sorority house in the late 1950s.
At some point (after 1957) the upper floor of its two-story front porch was enclosed. In early 1984, UNC's first ethernet was deployed in the building.
Naturally, this building was put on the "scheduled for destruction" list of UNC's Board of Governors' Committee on Budget and Finance in 2004, during the Moeser-Kapp regime. It is the sole survivor of UNC's original Fraternity Row.
View north west (image via UNC)
View west, 3.9.2021 (photo by S. Rankin)
View east, 3.9.2021 (photo by S. Rankin)
View north, 3.9.2021 (photo by S. Rankin)
View south, 3.9.2021 (photo by S. Rankin)
From the October 16, 1912 Tar Heel
Add new comment