The bottling company started out as the Noxall Bottling Works in August 1911, in a wooden building at the southern end of Occoneechee Street in west Hillsborough. The company was started by J. Zeb Waller, Landres M. Squires, and William M. Miles with $25,000 in capital. Waller, Squires, and Miles all lived and worked in or near Burlington; Waller was the proprietor of the Burlington Beverage Company, Squires was a "broker," and Miles was a tobacco buyer.
In early 1915 the Noxall Bottling Works was dissolved as a business and became the Hillsboro Bottling Company, with Abner B. Fitch (of Fitch Lumber “fame”) as its proprietor. In 1920, the Hillsboro Bottling Company changed ownership and was renamed the Hillsboro Coca-Cola Bottling Company, with Owen S. Robertson as its manager. A new brick bottling building was built a few blocks to the west (south of the Bellevue Mill, on present day Eno Street).
A (partial) bottle of Taka Kola from 1920
The "bottle dump" of the original bottling works location (on Occoneechee Street) still exists; the dump has been scavenged for decades and all the bottles that remain are broken. The bottle fragments are predominantly Taka-Kola (dated 1920 and marked "Hillsboro Bottling Co.") and pre-1923 style Coca-Cola bottles (dating from 1917 to 1919 and marked "Hillsboro N.C."). This site is where the bottling works discarded their broken, defective, and mismatched bottles from 1911 into the 1920s; it has also been said that it is where the Taka-Kola bottles were destroyed after the early 1920s Coca-Cola lawsuit. The building was taken down or burned sometime between 1920 and 1924; part of the site was further disturbed when the Town of Hillsborough constructed a water pipeline across the property in the mid-1970s and a sidewalk in 2019.