104-106 W. FRANKLIN ST.
- This building does not appear in any tours yet.
- Tue, 08/24/2021 - 9:17pm by SteveR
Built in late 1924/early 1925 as two one-story storefronts. The address 104 was originally 102; 106 was originally 104 (see map excerpt below). The property was owned by William R. Lloyd when it was developed.
The first known occupants were R. R. Benson Plumbing (#104) and Western Union Telegraph Company (#106).
1925 Sanborn Map excerpt
R. R. Benson ad, February 1925 (via CHW)
View northwest, 1949
Circa 1977 (via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
Circa 1978 (via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
View north east, 1982 (via Chapel Hill News)
View north east, 1990s (via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
View north west, 1980s (via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
View north east, circa 1999 (via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
Diab's Dress Shop (circa 1929)
S. H. Basnight Hardware (1938 to 1945)
Strowd Tractor Company/Andrews & Rigsbee Tractor Company (1948?-1950)
Tilghman Radio & TV Service
Speedy Laundry/Allied Exterminator
From 1959 or 1960, it was Zoom Zoom, a restaurant operated by the Danzingers.
Circa 1980, it became Gatti's Pizza.
In 1986 it became a Bruegger's Bagels.
South Eastern Express Co. (ca.1934-38)
Railway Express Agency (1943)
UNC Service Plants
Public Service Co. of NC (ca. 1953-1978)
Baum Jewelry Craftsmen/The Yogurt Pump (1982-)
I Love NY Pizza/The Yogurt Pump (1998-present)
From Chapel Hill Historic District Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation (2015):
"This one-story, brick commercial building is two bays wide with brick pilasters dividing the bays and a corbelled brick parapet with concrete coping. The building has replacement aluminum-framed metal storefronts that are sheltered with awnings and topped by soldier-course brick lintels. The parapet steps down to the rear of the building with terra cotta coping. There is a display window on the left (west) elevation and an inset entrance at the rear of the left elevation that accesses a separate business. The building appears on the 1925 Sanborn map, replacing an earlier hardware store on the site."
From the July 27, 1982 Chapel Hill News:
Mr. Baum, 1980s:
Add new comment