- This building does not appear in any tours yet.
- Fri, 05/05/2023 - 8:50am by SteveR
Built by the Carrboro Lions Club, it formally opened in the summer of 1950 on land first purchased in 1947, north of the Lions' clubhouse. UNC installed lighting for night games in late 1949. It was mainly used as an athletic park, but also for social and religious gatherings, such as Sunday evening outdoor church services in the summer.
Baseball appears to have been the main sport played at the field. Semi-pro, high school, church, and UNC teams played at this field. It also, interestingly, was used by black and white teams and may have been officially or unofficially desegregated.
The Lions Club sold the property to Howard Hearn in January 1971. The site of the park is where the Village Square Apartments (built in the mid-1980s) are presently.
1955 aerial photo excerpt
No comments yet.
Add new comment