08.14.2016 (G. Kueber)
March 1911 Sanborn map excerpt ("Grave Yard")
(Below in italics is from the National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)
A total of seventeen marked graves are found in this small family cemetery enclosed by a stone wall with entrance facing E. Tryon St. Many of the sandstone ledgers and small sandstone headstones are hard to read, but the earliest grave is likely that of Mrs. Catherine Lockhart who died in 1792. Saddler James Phillips probably built the rough-stacked fieldstone wall in 1820; he died 1847 and is also buried here. Phillips was a founder of the Presbyterian Church and of O'Kelly's Christian Chapel. There are five raised tombs with inscribed stones, several low unmarked stones, and a number of headstones that are now leaning against the stone wall. The forty-two feet by forty-two feet cemetery appears on the 1894 Sanborn map.
For more information on the cemetery, see cemeterycensus.com/nc/orng/cem155.htm