The famous folksinger known as "Elizabeth Cotton" was born Ella Nevill January 5, 1893 to George and Louisa Nevill, in or near Chapel Hill. Within a few years, the family purchased land in the section of Chapel Hill now known as Northside. This property was likely rented or purchased circa 1900, but the deed wasn't transferred to Louisa ("Lou") Nevill until 1921.
In 1955, Lillie Nevill (Elizabeth's sister?) sued Elizabeth and Frank Cotten to obtain the right to sell the property.
The original house on the property was demolished at some point (in the 1960s?) and replaced with a newer structure.
Nevill home circled in red, 1915 Sanborn map excerpt
1934 map excerpt
Google maps, 2016
Aerial view of the Nevill house site, Google maps, 2016
Street view of the Nevill house site, Google maps, 2016