MODERNIST

MODERNIST


"Modernist" homes and structures in Orange County

Lustron House

109 STEPHENS ST. / LUSTRON HOUSE

109
,
Chapel Hill
NC
Built in
1949
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Thu, 11/12/2020 - 4:26pm by SteveR

Comments

109
,
Chapel Hill
NC
Built in
1949
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

Lustron House

(Photo by Matt Jones)

Built in 1949 by/for Lonas and Elizabeth Williams.  Purchased from the Lustron Corporation of Columbus, Ohio, via Taylor-Made Homes of Greensboro. This was the first Lustron house built in the Triangle area.

Mrs. Williams initially ordered the pink structure with a green roof, but unfortunately they were out of that color at the time. The Chapel Hill Junior Chamber of Commerce held a public viewing of the house (as a fundraiser) in late May and early June, 1949.

May 27, 1949 Chapel Hill Weekly

June 3, 1949 Chapel Hill Weekly

 

Sold in 1967 to Robert D. and Phyllis Verhalen. Sold in 1973 to Elizabeth Beleny. Sold in 1984 to Daniel Sobotka. Sold in 1988 to the Clark C. Burritt family. Sold in 1994 to Julie Bond-Meers. 

Photo by Jay Fulkerson (via ncmodernist.org)

 

For more information:

Add new comment

5 MT. BOLUS RD. / LUSTRON HOUSE

5
Chapel Hill
NC
Built in
1949
Construction type: 
,
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Tue, 11/17/2020 - 5:26pm by SteveR

Comments

5
Chapel Hill
NC
Built in
1949
Construction type: 
,
Type: 
Use: 

 

This Lustron House was built/assembled in 1949 for Federico G. Gil, a then-assistant professor of political science at UNC. Purchased from the Lustron Corporation of Columbus, Ohio, via Taylor-Made Homes of Greensboro. Gil purchased the land in April 1949, as Lot #5 of the Mt. Bolus Development.

In the 1950s or 1960s, a two-story addition (upstairs is living area, downstairs is a garage) was attached to the east side of the original structure.

Gil sold the property in 1992 to the Garcia family. It is now owned by Edgardo Garcia, and is rented out.

 

View south east; November 17, 2020 (photo by S. Rankin)

View south; November 17, 2020 (photo by S. Rankin)

Add new comment